Saki

This is one of my old writeups - from the archieves that is. I think I had first appeared in the March of 2005 on the 60kph site / bulletin board. Anyway, the reason I am posting this today again is to keep the momentum going. I cannot bang my head today and come up with some new stuff, so here is some old wine in -- well, old bottle.

Cheers, S
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of time, I must also thank the ride to Rann of Kutch, for it provided me enough time with myself. Moreover, the settings of yellow sand and blue skies all around you are perfect for meditations on life, universe and other very essential questions like the nature of being, knight templers and cheese omlettes.

Anyway, in all these and other random ponderings, I also rambled to myself about the name I should give my 500cc. It is more than a dozen times that people have asked me what I call my bike, and every time I have to spin some yarn on how I wish to break off from the other bikers' traditional (and often termed as 'crazy') ways. Alok had given her a name some time earlier, which meant 'she-wolf' in German, but since I don't know German, and neither does the bike, we both forgot what the actual name was.

It is only after my 500cc brought me out on the other side of the Rann once without any mishap that I decided to revere this particular piece of machinary which has by now consumed my mind (and pocket) much like all other bikers, and for good. So I decided to re-christian her. Ladies and gentleman ... may I present to you .... 'SAKI' !!!!

Yes sir, this is the same 'lakh piye, do lakh piye' fame, Harivansh Ray Sahab's 'Madhushaala' inspired, ... Saki.

"Bhar bhar kar deta ja, SAKI,
main kar dunga deewala,
Ajab sharabi se tera bhi
aaj pada aakar pala.

Lakh piye, do lakh piyen,
par kabhi nahi thaknewala,
Agar pilane ka dum hai to
Jaari rakh yeh madhushaala"

This bike has always kept the wine of adrenalin flowing in my veins, and my cup always filled with joy. It is thus apt that I show my gratitude towards the animated machine with a fitting name.

Saki is the ultimate metaphor of all the livable things in this universe. It is the giver of hope and pleasure, and conquerer of misery. Saki is your friend, your companion and your guide. Saki not only shares your experiences, but also is an integral part of it. In fact, without Saki, you cannot have a 'madhushaala' - a metaphor for the world itself. Without this bike, you cannot have the wandering that this nomad has experienced. Thus, it is Saki I enjoy my weekends with.

Saki, also on a lighter note, takes her fees without fail before you go away. And she surely does not charge light. Others who share the fate of owning a 500cc would know what I am talking about. (I have changed the clutch plates, pressures plates, oil filters et al after the Kutch ride .. amount 1,500/- alread and still growing ... ) Saki also makes sure you reach home safely if you have had too much of life's dose one evening.

I am also a great fan of Saki the author and his hugely satirical style and dark humor. When my 500cc gives me starting trouble in the middle of the night in the rains, I especially remember this angle of the name.

I can spell the word 'SAKHI', and the word takes a new meaning. Sakhi is your friend, not just a bar-tender. In fact, Sakhi is more than a friend. Sakhi is your only friend. She knows your deepest secrets ( 'do you have fear of dark, my dear?' ) and keeps them to herself. The relationship that you would share with your Sakhi is more ethe-real than anything else.

Sakhi, in Mahabharata, is also the other name of Draupadi (Panchali), the most complete woman ever alive and portrayed in literature. The legendary nuances of Krishna Sakhi are what folklores are made of.

So you see the connection, people.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with a task long pending now accompalished. Saki also seems to like her new name. What do you say?

And Vinod, Saki just had a good bath with all sorts of oils (engine oil, gear oil, the works) ... and a refreshing massage :)))

'Raah pakad tu ek chala chal
Paa jayega madhushaala'

Ride on
-Shreekant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bundi - A Teardrop of Joy held in the palms of the Mountains

Kashmir

Tamhini Ghat